28 August 2006

28 August 2006

Not much going on which explains the shorter entries appearing together. I'm learning to appreciate these periods of not having to run around. That will probably change soon, as the outgoing renter of my apartment leaves on Tuesday and I formally take over on Friday. As the place is unfurnished, I get to spend the next month and a half interior decorating and eventually making my way to the country's IKEA branch in the center of the country (here it's pronounced as "ee-KAY-a" because the American English pronunciation sounds similar to the Hebrew verb for "I'll vomit").

I changed my address and registered for free health coverage at the post office (you heard right, I also get to eventually pay my electric bill there) and finally got an appointment at the Immigrant Absorption Ministry for this Wednesday(for more free money and to get my waiver for free tuition at Hebrew U.).

The best and worst of Israeli TV commercials:
Best: "Who Will Be the Next Uri Geller?" reality show
Worst: Black Americans have the monopoly on ads for chocolate here. Cereal, cake, even a new line of diet yogurt…it's one thing to trade ethnic jokes among friends in this country (a national pastime) but to showcase caricatures of women with cellulite pink lips, dark skin and bulging figures? Maybe this is another "comes with the package" reality, or maybe it's another "If more American Jews made Aliyah, things would change" ideal.

No comments: